For local bike shops, spring is like the Christmas season for most other retailers—the busiest time of the year. While some people are looking for new bikes, the real pressure is on bike repairs and tune ups. People need to get their bikes into shape for a new season. Bike repair shops are allowed to stay open under Ontario’s emergency order but it is not business as usual given stay-at-home protocols and physical distancing. Here is a quick update on how our local bike shops and repair services are adjusting.
- Wild Rock Outfitters
- Wild Rock Outfitters (169 Charlotte Street – 705-745-9133 – blog) is offering online sales for all their merchandise and local delivery as well as safe curbside pick up and drop off. Wild Rock Bike Service currently features mobile service for small jobs and safe curbside drop-offs for service by appointment. Check out their website for more details and updates.
- Fontaine Source for Sports
- Fontaine’s (384 Queen Street – 705-742-0511) offers curbside drop-off and pick-up as well as delivery by request. You can also visit the store, one customer at a time, by appointment (e-mail or call).
- Spokes ‘N’ Pedals
- Spokes ‘N’ Pedals (464 Aylmer Street – 705-745-7343) appears to have shut down, at least for now.
- Dream Cyclery
- Dream Cyclery (432 George Street North – 705-743-3333) offers free pick-up and delivery in the Peterborough area by appointment. Link up via this page on their website.
- B!KE: The Peterborough Community Cycling Hub
- Unlike most repair shops, B!KE (293 George Street – 705-775-7227) provides accessible shop space, tools and guidance to help develop bicycle mechanical skills to let the bike owner do their own repairs. Obviously, a close environment where many people share tools and space through the day is not a safe one at this time. So, for now, B!ke remains closed. They are looking at ways to restart some services once safety concerns are addressed. Find out more in their latest newsletter. Look for updates at their website and Facebook page.
- Lumpy Bikes
- Lumpy Bikes (79 Morrow Street – (705) 872-6880) is still fixing bikes, but by appointment only. Call ahead, email or connect through their Facebook page.
- Mike! Fix my bike!
- Mike is fixing bikes, but on an appointment-only basis through his website.
As always, our local bike shops are going the extra mile to support area cyclists. Show them you appreciate them and their efforts to keep us rolling.